Adopted February 10, 2020
Article I - Name
The name of the organization shall be the Greater Portland Soccer District, Inc., hereinafter referred to as the GPSD.
Article II - Headquarters
The GPSD shall maintain a post office box mailing address, a telephone line, and a meeting place for the Executive Committee in the Portland area. The GPSD will include information concerning all three in all written communications with the club managers.
The current contact information as of Jan 1, 2020 is as follows:
Greater Portland Soccer District, Inc.
PO BOX 271
Otis, Oregon 97368
The Executive Committee currently meets at the following:
OASA Conference Room
1750 SW Skyline Blvd.
Portland, OR 97221
Article III - Source of Authority
The GPSD was authorized to begin administration of its affairs at the 1976 Annual General Meeting of the Oregon Soccer Football Association. The general organizational plan of the GPSD was approved at the 1977 Annual General Meeting of the OSFA (now the Oregon Amateur Soccer Association, hereinafter OASA).
Article IV - Relationship to other Soccer Organizations
The GPSD shall consist of Leagues whose teams are affiliated with the OASA and the United States Soccer Federation (USSF). The GPSD shall make no provision, rule, or by-law that is inconsistent with any provision, rule or by-law of the USSF and the OASA. The OASA shall have general supervisor and regulator jurisdiction over the GPSD. Through its affiliation with the OASA, the GPSD maintains its relationship with the USSF and the Federation of International Football Associations (FIFA). The GPSD may regulate its internal affairs to the extent that this power is granted to it by FIFA, the USSF and the OASA.
Article V - Purpose and Duties
The GPSD shall be responsible for the daily operation and administration of its own affairs, including but limited to, scheduling matches, organizing leagues and divisions, adjudicating protests, taking disciplinary or judicial measures, and organizing or sponsoring tournaments. The GPSD shall have exclusive authority to organize its Leagues for the benefit of the players, teams, managers and sponsors.
Article VI - General Organization
The GPSD shall be governed by the Executive Board and the Executive Committee and the team managers. This Constitution shall be the primary organizational document for the GPSD as it may be amended from time to time. The GPSD shall adopt Rules of Competition to be applied in subsequent seasons, and said rules shall apply to all leagues, divisions, teams, managers, sponsors and players. Said Rules of Competition may be amended from season to season by the Executive Committee as they see fit to best serve the GPSD. All GPSD committees shall operate according to established procedures and in the best interest of the GPSD.
Article VII - Executive Board
The Executive Board shall consist of a
- The President shall have the authority to make unilateral decisions concerning the daily administration of the GPSD with the assistance of the Executive Board. The President shall be the chairman of the Executive Board. He shall preside over the Annual Managers Meeting (AMM) and the Mid-Year Managers Meeting (MYMM). The President shall be elected at the AMM held in even numbered years for a two-year term of office. The actions of the President shall have the same force and effect as the actions of the GPSD.
Such actions shall be brought before the Executive Committee for review and approval at the next scheduled meeting of the Executive Committee for ratification and approval.
- The Vice President shall, in the absence of the President, succeed him or her in all powers granted to the President. The Vice-President shall also maintain contact with all committee chairmen. The Vice-President shall be elected by the team managers at the AMM for a two-year term in odd numbered years.
- The Secretary shall attend to and safeguard all correspondence of the GPSD and shall record minutes of all GPSD Executive Board, Executive Committee and Annual and Mid-Year meetings. The Secretary shall be elected by the managers at the AMM for a
two-year term of office in even numbered years.
- The Treasurer shall be responsible for the property and moneys of the GPSD. The treasurer shall submit a current financial statement of GPSD resources at each Executive Committee meeting. He shall submit an annual report of finances at the AMM. The Treasurer shall be elected by team managers at the AMM for a two-year term of office in odd numbered years.
- Should a member of the Executive Board resign or die, the President may replace him/her with the approval of the Executive Committee. Should the President resign or die, the Vice-President shall succeed to his position.
- The Board may remove an office by the following procedure: at least 3 members of the Executive Committee must call a special Executive Committee meeting for the purpose of considering the removal of an officer. Written notice of the meeting signed by three or more Executive Committee members must be sent 14 days before the date of the meeting to the officer proposed to be removed.
Two thirds of the voting members present at said meeting must vote in favor of removal for the officer to be removed from office. The Executive Committee may fill the vacancy by majority vote of those present at the meeting who continue to hold office.
Article VIII - Executive Committee
The Executive Committee shall consist of:
- Division Representatives
- Judiciary Commissioner
- Game Scheduler
- The Executive Committee shall be the governing and managing body of the GPSD. All members of the Executive Committee shall have one vote. The Committee shall meet monthly at a time and place designated at the meeting immediately preceding it. The Executive Committee Meetings are open to any manager, player or sponsor of a GPSD affiliated team.
- There shall be one league representative from the Open, Over Thirty, Over Forty, Over 50 and Over 58 Leagues and three at large representatives from any of the leagues. The managers from each division shall elect the league representative for a one-year term at the MYMM. If the league representatives team is promoted or relegated away from the league which he represents, the president may appoint a different representative for the unrepresented league. The president may appoint representatives to vacant at large representative positions. These representatives cannot be someone who is already on the Executive Committee.
- The Judiciary Commissioner shall hear all protests and disciplinary matters that arise within the GPSD, except where original jurisdiction over such matters is reserved by the OASA, USSF or FIFA. He shall function according to the Rules of Competition as established by the Executive Committee. The Judiciary Commissioner shall be nominated by the President and approved by the Executive Board.
- The Game Scheduler shall be appointed by the President and approved by the Executive Board as need by the GPSD. The game scheduler shall be responsible for scheduling fields and matches for all GPSD matches and competitions and shall report the same to
the Executive Committee.
- The handling of Social Media accounts shall be appointed by the President and approved by the Executive Board as need by the GPSD. This person shall be responsible for updating the GPSD Social Media accounts (Instagram-GPSD_PDX, Facebook-GPSDSoccer) with relevant content which is in good moral intentions as deemed fit by GPSD.
- Each member of the Executive Committee shall have the duty to attend the meetings of the Executive Committee. Failure to Attend three meetings during the year will be grounds for removal from this position.
- A quorum shall consist of 5 member of the Executive Committee and such quorum shall be present before a meeting can be called to order. The President shall chair the meetings according to protocols and procedures adopted by the GPSD Executive Committee.
In the event that a quorum is not present, and provided that there are at least two Executive Board members present, a meeting may be convened to deal with matters which are of an urgent or immediate nature, subject to their review and ratification at the next Executive
- Any action taken by the Executive Committee shall be by majority vote of the committee members present at the meeting.
- Special meetings of the Executive Committee for any GPSD purpose may be called by the President or by one-third of the Executive committee members. The President shall insure that all members of the Executive Committee are informed of the time, place and purpose
of any special meeting.
- The Executive Committee is specially empowered to hear all appeals from the decisions of the Judicial Commissioner. Appeals from the decision of the Executive Committee of the GPSD shall be made to the OASA pursuant to their rules of procedure.
Article IX - Council of Managers
- The GPSD Council of Managers shall consist of the managers of all member teams in good standing, and the member of the Executive Committee. The manager, or his alternate, so designated in writing shall have one vote at all council meetings. Any action authorized by a majority vote of council managers present at the meeting shall mandate compliance by the Executive Committee.
- The Managers of all teams who applied, been accepted and paid registration fees shall be members in good standing of the council.
- The Council may overturn any action previously taken by the Executive Committee provided that a least one-half of all council managers are present and that two-thirds of those managers present vote to overturn the action.
- All teams must make application for League play according to the Rules adopted by the Executive Committee and Communicated to the managers by due and proper notice. The applications must be in writing and contain all the information deemed necessary by the Executive Committee and on such form or application as is proper the Committee distributed to the team and mangers. All managers must certify in writing that they and their team players agree to abide by all laws and rules adopted by FIFA, USSF, OASA and the GPSD.
- Applications must be accepted for membership by the Executive Committee on a first come, first paid basis. The GPSD reserves the right to limit the number of clubs as its resources permit. No application may be accepted where the team name is similar or could be confused with a club previously registered with the GPSD.
- Any changes in the information provided on the application to the GPSD must be made in writing to the Executive Committee.
- The Yearly playing fees must be paid at the time the application is filed. The GPSD reserves the right to reject the application and fee of any team for any reason whatsoever. Application procedures and fee information will be communicated to team managers by the Executive Committee not less than 15 days prior to the AMM.
- Any team that engages in conduct deserving expulsion from the GPSD may be expelled by the Executive Committee upon a two-thirds vote of the members present at an Executive Committee meeting. Before any such expulsion can be made, the Executive Committee must provide 7 days written notice of the action and the time and place of the meeting to all Executive Committee members, and to the manager of the team involved.
- Team managers and their representatives shall be responsible to ensure that their team and its members abide by the laws and rules of FGIFA, the USSF, the OASA and the GPSD.
Article X - Annual Managers Meeting
- The Annual Managers Meeting (AMM) will be held annually in August, prior to the start of the fall season, on 15 days’ notice to all managers in good standing at a place and time to be specified. All managers shall be entitled to one vote on any matters coming before the council at such meeting.
- The Executive Board shall provide the Council with reports detailing the activities of the GPSD in the previous year, its present Financial status, a budget, operational plan and rules of Competition for the upcoming year.
- The Annual Managers Meeting may be called to order on the date and at the time and place specified if it appears that one-quarter of the managers in good standing are present.
The Agenda for the Annual Managers Meeting shall be:
- Roll Call
- Approval of Past Minutes
- Presidents Report
- Treasurers Report
- Committee Report
- Other Reports
- Rule Changes
- Election of Officers
- Other Business
Article XI - Mid-Year Managers Meeting
- The Mid-Year Managers Meeting will be held at a date, time and place to be announce by the Executive Board not later than 15 days in advance. The purpose of the meeting will be to review the first half of the season, present scheduling and other recommended changes to the managers for the second half of the season, and to address other issues as necessary. Division Representatives will also be elected at this meeting.
The Agenda for the Mid-Year Managers Meeting shall be:
- Roll Call
- Approval of Minutes
- Presidents Report
- Treasurers Report
- Committee Reports
- Rule Changes
- Election of Division Representatives
- Other Business
- Special Meetings of the Managers Council may be called by the Executive Committee or by the President of the GPSD upon a written request of one-third of the managers in good standing. Such meetings nay be for any legitimate GPSD purpose other than changes to the Constitution but may be only for those purposes specified in the meeting notice. Notice of a special meeting must be made 15 days in advance of such meeting and state the specific purpose, therefore.
Article XII - Constitutional Changes
- Changes in the GPSD Constitution may only be made if such changes are proposed in writing to the President and he/she serves said changes upon the managers council for timely adoption or ratification. Such changes may only be adopted by a majority of the voting members present. Notice of the changes must be sent to the Council Members in advance of the Annual Managers Meeting.
- Rules of Competition for the upcoming year may be adopted by the Executive Committee subject to the approval of the council at the AMM or the MYMM.
- Any bylaws adopted the Executive Board, or any committee thereof shall be subject to council approval at the next scheduled AMM or MYMM.
Article XIII - Fiscal Year
The fiscal year for the GPSD shall be the calendar year, January 1 to December 31.
Adopted by the GPSD this the 10th day of February, 2020.